Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Can I paint metallic paint straight on my saxo car?

I want to get my car resprayed and am going to buy the paint myself so it will be cheaper. My car is silver and I want to change it to metallic silver. What do I need to buy and how much paint will i need. I am getting a body kit aswell so this needs to be painted also. How much is a fair price if I supply all the paint and stuff. Any professinals out there I would appreciate info CheersCan I paint metallic paint straight on my saxo car?
No get a professional to do itCan I paint metallic paint straight on my saxo car?
No you need to rub all the lacquer off first before spraying.Your best bet is to put your kit on and any modifications and then get it sprayed by a pro.The car will look allot better and will probably set you back about 拢500.They will match the paint properly as well which you need especially on silver as it will look a mess if its not matched!
The car needs to be completely keyed for anything to stick to it, that is to get wet and dry sandpaper and rub the whole car down fill in any imperfections with filler sand smooth, wipe with spirits and a tack cloth (sticky cloth that removes any dust etc) then lay down a few layers of primer give it a key again and then paint and lacquer
if the car will be done by pro's.....why you worry?





do not buy any paint,let them buy it.


if You buy it it gonna cost twice(over the counter price)


the pro's buy it cheaper( wholesale price)





beside, the pro's have a bigger selection of color than the paint store will show You.





believe it or not the quality of the paint for the pro is also different.





and the last comment...........if You show up with a bucket of cheap and pour quality paint (and a proud smile in Your face) to the paint and body shop........do not hope for the best finish..........since YOU AND ONLY YOU spoil it without even start.








I know... and I 'm sorry.
In short get a professional to do the job.


It may be cheaper if you do it but it will look awful.


For a Metallic paint finish you need special tools ( like lacquer)





DO NOT ATTEMPT to spray if you dont know how to and dont have the tools.
To be honest, I doubt you will save that much money buying the paint yourself. The body shop you take your car to will probably be able to get a discount on the paint anyway so not much point. To prepare you car you don鈥檛 need to take all the paint off, you just need to rub the original paint down. You should also fit your body kit at this stage to make sure everything is inline and fits. However, this is the most important stage in any paint job and if you mess up here it will show big time when the lacquer is applied. So if you do decide to take this on yourself, take your time and make sure everything is perfect. However, if you have never done this before then I wont recommend trying. If you mess up then the body shop will want more money to sort your mistakes out.





As for how much this will cost? Well you get what you pay for! I have seen some shocking paint jobs that have been done for a couple of hundred pound. Ask around, get recommendations of friends, family etc. Ask painters if you can see a few cars that they have worked on. Best to save up a bit more and pay for a decent quality paint job. It may seem like you are saving money getting materials and doing prep work yourself but it many cases you are not.

No comments:

Post a Comment