Thursday, February 25, 2010

How can I make metallic colors with arcylic painting?

Ok I am doing a picture, but I came into a bump in the road. I have been having difficulty coloring some aspects of the picture, those which NEED to be metallic colors -- like rusted metal, like aluminum, etc.





How can I do this? I know how to do this with water color, but I have never before tried or even strive to do it with acrylic paint. I need to know what colors, specifically I need. I know with water color it is Ultramarine blue, burnt sienna mixture - which is to say certain types of blue and browns -- sedimentary colors of this kind. Would it be best for me to just go out and buy specific sedimentary colors besides trying to mix them and create them myself? And which would you prefer for lets say, aluminum, rusted metal, steel, etc?





I am having trouble. Any help would be appreciated.How can I make metallic colors with arcylic painting?
Glazing ! A glaze is a transparent layer of paint applied over another color so that it tints and modifies the underlayer . Any number of glazes can be superimposed as long as each is allowed to dry before painting the next . Glazing was originally an oil painting technique , but it is ideal for fast drying acrylics , and the effects are quite unlike those achieved with opaque mixtures .


Many shops sell transparent paints but I just reduce opaques with tap water . Although nothing beats experimenting on your palette , here are some examples that I have used :


Rusted metal : Cadmium yellow glazed over deep violet mixed with cadmium yellow .


Copper : Cadmium yellow glazed over deep violet .


Bronze : Light emerald green glazed over medium magenta .


I think you get the Idea . Gold , silver , metal/steel tones can be achieved with these base colors :


Gold : Raw umber


Silver/steel : Payne's grey


Here are some other colors I use for metallic glazes :


Napthol crimson


Phthalo green


Phthalo blue


Dioxazine purple


Cadmium orange


Cadmium yellow deep


Cobalt blue


Cadmium red medium


Permanent sap green


........and finally unbleached titanium is a MUST!!!!!!


Just play around for a while you'll get the hang of it .


Good luck , my friend .How can I make metallic colors with arcylic painting?
I would experiment with everything until I found what felt right. You might be messing around on the pallet and discover something that's works that you didn't see before.


I think the best way to get any metallic effect is proper placement and proportion of light and dark. A mixture places next to a lighter color can look quite different next to a dark.


Experiment, and I would try to keep it as thin as possible.
there are metallic paints. gold, silver, steel, rust, etc... they are sometimes called iridescent. Color ir relative. A blue shirt is white under bright light and green under other light. As far as I know, any color can represent any other color - it's all dependant on the lighting and the relation to the other colors - look at the Haystack series -by Manet I think, or was it Monet%26gt;?

No comments:

Post a Comment