Thursday, February 25, 2010

When painting with Metallic Acrylic, what kind of clear coat can I use so it does not loose its shine?

clear coat is what creates the shineWhen painting with Metallic Acrylic, what kind of clear coat can I use so it does not loose its shine?
What you're doing sounds cool.





For awhile I painted with liquid tempera on canvas (I posted one of these in my 360) and was concerned because tempera is fragile. So I protected each canvas with several coats of clear coat acrylic.





The most popular brand is Krylon but many other probably work as well.When painting with Metallic Acrylic, what kind of clear coat can I use so it does not loose its shine?
If it's acrylic any gloss varnish will work. What I really like and what will give it a super thick and glossy appearance is Decoart Triple Thick Gloss Glaze. It gives an almost glass like appearance to paint, and it's water based so it will wash right out of your brush. I usually use two coats for the best effect, and it gives the paint real depth. It comes in both a liquid and a spray.





But any gloss varnish will work. Look in Michaels or other local craft store.
you can even go over it with an acrylic gloss medium. But why not experiment with marine varnish or resin? Explore (with proper ventilation).

No comments:

Post a Comment