Thursday, February 25, 2010

Painting Plastic to a Metallic - Glossy Finish?

Hi, I need your advice on a project I will work on very soon. It involves the element in the title. More specifically, I want to paint the object below with colors of metallic silver, gold, and etc, then apply a clear glossy finish.





----(http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/games/9766/)----





I'm sure you'll agree that that will look much better and elegant than the original. Well the problem is, I'm not sure how to approach this. I was thinking of using Krylon Fusion paint after peeling off the colored stickers, then apply gloss. But should I sand? Apply a primer? And also, some tips on my project? Thanks!!





P.S. I'm not that much of a geek...really. I just love challenges. I want the model to look like an attractive paperweight if I can't solve it. (most likely.) :)Painting Plastic to a Metallic - Glossy Finish?
I have this cube, (and it is a hard one to solve once you have it twisted real well, but if you just give it a few twists when you start it is do-able,) but I do not think that painting it will make it look better while still working.





If you want to paint it, you will have to remove the stickers, clear away the left behind glue and then paint in such a way that the plastic of the cube will not be affected.


Other than the regular Rubik's cube, you can not easily find how to take the cube apart. So you will have to do your painting with the cube still assembled.





I would advice you to just play with it as it is, and buy something just decorative in your chosen colours for paperweight.Painting Plastic to a Metallic - Glossy Finish?
Paint it first with undercioat of gesso. That will make the paints stick. There are many metallic acrylic paints available. Glossy ones also. The gesso will stick to most surfaces since it has some kind of glue in the paint. I find metallics look better over a undercoat of black rather tha bn white for some reason. good luck.
Painting that cube would be a tricky task... but I have an alternative!!





I make MANY model aircraft with metallic finishes, and I use a product called ';Bare-Metal';... it is a very thin metal foil with an adhesive on the back side. It sticks GREAT, is ';buff-able'; to give a SMOOTH finish, and comes in CHROME, ALUMINUM, STEEL, COPPER, and GOLD...





Here is a link to the product: http://bare-metal.com/bare-metal-foil.ht鈥?/a>





IF you paint... YES, disassemble, mask, prime and paint.





GOOD LUCK
  • hair straightener
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment