Tuesday, February 23, 2010

How do I paint a metallic finish on Paintable Textured Wallpaper?

I am buying a house and I want to do over the living room. I wanted to do the ceiling and 1 wall with a beautiful embossed (classic tin ceiling design) wallpaper, and I wanted it to be gray/silver. I was thinking painting it completely gray, then metallic on the raised areas. Can anyone tell me the best way to do this, and the type of paints I will need to buy. I think it will look fantastic.... and the other walls in the living room will be in a blue color...... Thanks...if there are any websites that show photos on how to do that, id appreciate a link. thanks.How do I paint a metallic finish on Paintable Textured Wallpaper?
I have anaglyptic embossed wallpaper that I painted with a metallic faux finish to look like patina on copper. You have to prime the paper first with something like Zinsser and let that cure completely. You can use latex or acrylic paint over that, but most metallic colors only come in acrylic formulations and you can find some in larger containers. I used a basecoat over the entire paper first then came back over the high spots with my patina green on a very dry brush. I had a damp rag handy to wipe off immediately paint that went where I didn't want it to be. Another hint, take a scrap piece of the wallpaper and experiment on it before you hit the wall to get your technique and color blends the way you desire.How do I paint a metallic finish on Paintable Textured Wallpaper?
I completely get it about the textured wallpaper. Wherever you buy it, they may have ideas and suggestions other than mine, but this is what I think.





Put up the wallpaper. That will take you about a month, and let it sit for a bit. Then do a grey-blue paint with a really fluffy roller in order to get in all the cracks and crevices.





What I would then do is get a metallic silver in a spray paint (I don't think it is sold any other way). Spray it on a rag and rub/buff over the raised surfaces of the wallpaper.
Got a Home Depot nearby?





Home Depot sells Ralph Lauren's ';Regent Metallics'; line, a beautiful range of colors with a metallic finish. There's also a display showing how to use their colors





If you want the metallic paint only on the raised areas, you would need to dry-brush very sparingly just on those areas, over a dry coat of your background color. The background could be flat, eggshell, or satin ... the metallic won't adhere well to semi-gloss or gloss.





Here's the link to the Regent Metallics page from Ralph Lauren Home ... there are techniques and how-to videos, and you can see all the colors:





http://www.ralphlaurenhome.com/rlhome/pr鈥?/a>
  • hair straightener
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment