Sunday, February 21, 2010

Metallic paint...how do you do it?!?

I had a plan to paint my walls in my room gold and I set about doing that today. I had a base paint that was a close color to the gold and I painted that on rather evenly. When I painted the gold on though, it didn't look even at all.





I am going to go over it again, but I better know what I am doing this time. Metallic paint seems to be a lot harder to use - it doesn't go on as well. Also, my walls slant inward at 45 degrees so it's kind of hard to paint.





Does anyone have any tips on how to do this the right way, so I won't screw this up? Gold paint is expensive, and I don't need to buy a third gallon!Metallic paint...how do you do it?!?
Gold or silver metallic paint is VERY HARD to paint... I know, because I've been doing it for years, both for myself and for clients. Here's why it's so hard:





Metallic paint is very liquid and is filled with little bits of metal dust particles. They settle quickly. That means that your paint is often thinner as you go along. To help make things better, make sure you stir the paint OFTEN... really often! This will help. But it won't make it perfect... nothing will, because the metal dust keeps sitting on top of other dust and it will never look even.





But: I have found a solution that my customers love! You might want to try it on a small piece of board, etc., to see if you like the effect.





1. Paint your gold on in 2 or 3 coats. Let it dry properly.


2. Using a rag and wearing gloves, dip the rag in the paint. Rub in circular motions all over the wall, using small circles at a time. Let dry.


3. Go to WalMart in the spray paint section. Buy a couple of cans of webbing spray (they sell it in black, gold, white and silver). It basically makes marble-like veins on the wall. Spray this in gold on top of your painted wall. This will dry VERY quickly!





It will give your wall an amazing textured look, you'll have the gold you want and it will be the talk of anyone that sees it. My clients are forever getting compliments! Lots of people think it's wallpaper, but it's paint.





Enjoy!Metallic paint...how do you do it?!?
You're more than welcome! You won't regret it!

Report Abuse



If it is water-based paint thin the paint with water a little for ease of application. Make sure to mix it well after adding water. If the paint does not have enough pigments, or if the paint wasn't shaken nicely for pigments to mix, it will not cover well, and you need multiple coats. If you haven't loaded the brush with plenty of paint, you will even get more streaks, which is called bleeding. The bleeding of the bottom color, meaning poor coverage. You just have to keep putting more paint on the wall, until you achieve even coverage. Usually after 2 coats you're done.
if it is a true metallic paint ,the first coat will always be thin, so it will need a second coat,but keep in mind that metallic paint has a shine to it like aluminum foil so all the brush strokes will be visible,which is ok if that is the look you want,otherwise use a 3/8 inch roller for a smoother look. Most of the time metallics are too shiny for most folks ,and that iswhy you usually use a glaze over the paint ,to give it a more toned down look.painting contractor.

No comments:

Post a Comment