Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A couple of questions about metallic paint?

Please only answer if you know the answers to these questions. I have had a little experience with Metallic paint, but I have a project and need to know a little more.





I have a wall in my hallway that I am wating to make my wall of fame, it is only a small piecve of the wall and I woul like to use the space to put up certificates, drawings, schoolwork, etc. Here is what I need to know . . .





If I paint the wall with magnetic paint, am I going to get a stronger magnetic hold painting on more than one or two coats?





What brand or kind of magnetic paint is the best for getting a strong magnetic hold?





If I paint a coat or two of regular paint in the color I want over the magnetic paint, will I lose my magnetic 'stick'?





I don't know if you can get magnetic paint in different colors but I don't want to paint hte whole hall with magnetic paint so I dont want to risk having a difference of color down the hall, I only need a small piece of the wall magnetized.A couple of questions about metallic paint?
While I haven't used magnetic paint myself, a couple of brands I found on the ';web'; specifically say they can be top coated, in fact one of the only comes in gray and they say the second step in applying it is to top coat it with your color.


Certainly a at least two coats would be a good idea, one site said up to four coats ';for maximum strength';


I found one discussion where someone who sell the stuff says all brands have about the same performance (but, of course, his is better because it has a lower price)


Apparently, at best, magnetic paint will not hold nearly as well as, say your refrigerator door, but it does seems to work well enought if you use the right magnets.A couple of questions about metallic paint?
If your going to ';stick'; magnets on the wall, the best thing to get is a sheet of tin or something of that nature...





True Value has some decorative lacework that is metal and looks very fancy lattice work, but it comes in 3x4 feet sheets, so you may need a few of them.





As for magnetic paint, I would go with a metallic paint instead... (grinding up something metallic and putting it in the paint and mixing it up and spreading it on the wall, so that a magnet will stick to it, would be preferable, but, you may need a few coats to give enough ';hold';).





I wouldnt go with ';magnetic paint'; as its very ';weak'; over a large area, and cant be ploarized in one way or the other.





I wish you well...





Jesse

No comments:

Post a Comment