Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Can you mix metallic paint with interior acrylic paint?

I'm trying to make an acrylic interior paint I have look metallic, can I mix it with silver or gold metallic paint? Can I mix it with prearlescence paint? Thanks.Can you mix metallic paint with interior acrylic paint?
You can mix similarly based paints together. House paints are either oil or water-based. So if your metallic paint is latex, it can be mixed with your acrylic, which is also water based. Read the labels to get your clue.





There's no way to predict whether you'll be satisfied with how the mix turns out, so test out a bit on a piece of drywall, or a sample of wherever you want to put it, first.Can you mix metallic paint with interior acrylic paint?
I don't know, but if you want a glam looking room, you can mix gold or sliver granite crystal in your paint. I've done it and it looks way cool. Can be purchased at Lowe's in the paint department. It's a small package that goes a long way. Add as little or much as you like. Good luck.
I have doubts about simply mixing the metallic and non-metallic paints. The metallic particles may simply disappear, or sink to the bottom and present mixing problems.


A metallic or pearlescent glaze would work. Or, for a one-step process, you can buy universal tints to add to your metallic paint. I doubt you will find what you need at Home Depot. Try Benjamin Moroe paint stores--they have a good selection for special interior finishes and can point you in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment